Out of State
If You Received a DWI In North Carolina and You Live in Another State
When you receive a DWI in North Carolina (no matter how long ago it was), you are required to have an assessment and treatment to satisfy North Carolina’s requirements to release the hold on your ability to get a license. You will need to find a state-approved agency in your home state that provides DWI assessment and treatment. You can find them in the Yellow Pages or go to Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator and find a facility in your state. The agency will be required to give you a DWI assessment and recommendation for treatment (minimum is 20 hours). When you complete this treatment, North Carolina DMV requires a letter outlining the treatment. (Page 4 below)
What you need to do:
- You will need to download and print pages 1,2,3 and 4 (below).
- Fill out pages 1,2 and 3 as described below. Mail pages 1,2 and 3 to us immediately so we can begin to process your information.
- You must find a treatment agency in your state (as described above) and complete the necessary treatment, recommended in your assessment. Make sure you give them page 4 and have them call us if there are ANY questions.
Important: You must also contact the North Carolina DMV and send them a $130 reinstatement fee. We can’t do this for you. You must send the check directly to the DMV at the following address:
Attn: Audit Unit
3111 Mail Service Center
Raliegh, NC 27699
- Important: You are required to obtain a driving record from the DMV in the state in which you currently live. (Use this website to find your DMV – or find contact information to any DMV here) Some states allow you to get a driving record electronically off their website. Others require you to request it by mail or at one of their offices.
*If you are able to obtain your driving records directly from their website, get them and send them to us along with the other documents on this page (Pages 1,2 and 3).
*If you must request your driving records by mail, have your DMV send them directly to us.
- Send pages 1,2,3 and your driving record, if you were able to download it from your DMV, to us (Insights in Recovery) along with a check or money order in the amount of $150, for each DWI you have in North Carolina. We also accept VISA and Mastercard. Download this Authorization Form (page 5) and mail it with the other pages. When we receive all necessary documentation and processing fees, we will begin the process of having your license removed from the National Register. It will take about 1-1 ½ weeks to get your North Carolina driving record, so please send pages 1,2,3 in as quickly as possible.
- When everything has been completed and there are no complications, the hold on your license will be lifted.
Make Check or Money Order payable to:Insights in Recovery.
Amount of check, money order or credit card:$150.00
Mail documents and payment to:
Insights in Recovery
359 W. Main Avenue, Suite F
Gastonia, NC 28052
If you have any questions or need assistance on any part of this process, please feel free to contact us.
Insights in Recovery
Page 1: DMV Driving History Release Form – Driver Privacy Protection Act Authorization To Disclose Personal Information Form – NC DMV
We need to have a copy of your North Carolina driving history – even if this DWI is the only offense in North Carolina, it is still required.
- Fill in your full name (first, last, middle and/or JR or III).
- If you had a NC Drivers license at any time and know the # then fill it in, otherwise put your SSN and DOB.
- REMEMBER to sign the form.
- If you have ANY questions, please call us at 704-868-8644.
Page 2: Client Information Sheet
This is a page in which we ask for some personal demographic information (name, address, telephone number, etc). This is needed for us to fill out the required form for the North Carolina DMV. Please fill it out completely.
Page 3: Release Form – Consent for Release of Information
This is a release of information for the North Carolina DMV.
- Fill in your name on the top line (Regarding)
- Be sure to sign and date the form at the bottom
- We will fill in the middle sections
Page 4: Interstate Facility Letter
PLEASE PRESENT THIS LETTER TO YOUR TREAMENT FACILITY. Mail it and any documentation that your treatment facility provides, back to us.
Page 5: Credit Card Authorization Form
Print and fill out this form only if you are paying by credit card.